Each Thanksgiving, family homes are pushed to their limits as kitchens are transformed into crowded workspaces and living areas are maximized for turkey feasts and holiday gatherings. To prepare for the big day, Housing Design Matters suggests a holiday checklist for each home space so that homeowners can offer ample room for incoming friends and family.
From food preparation to feasting accommodations, Thanksgiving traumas can be avoided by planning ahead and rolling out design reinforcements to make the holiday season smooth and peaceful.
PREPARING FOR THE BIG DAY:
- Is one refrigerator enough? Can the giant turkey fit?
- Is the seldom-used second oven ready for showtime?
- The workspace in the kitchen becomes cramped with too many cooks in the kitchen.
- “Keep the dishwasher closed! It’s full again? I just emptied it!”
- Use the Messy Kitchen to keep the main living space clutter free
WHEN IT’S TIME TO EAT:
- The kitchen island becomes an awesome buffet!
- How many can squeeze around the dining table?
- Can we add another table?
- Should we have a kid’s table in the kitchen?